Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Art: Week of March 8th, 2011

SDMA VISIT!

          I have never been to the SDMA, so I was really excited to go.  Balboa Park has a beautiful atmosphere, so the outside and the inside of the museum were warm and welcoming.  Having a tour guide was essential because he knew a lot of information about the artwork and about how the museum was set up, so we not only learned about different pieces of art, but we could ask questions if we needed to.  What I liked most about the Museum was that it had all different types of artwork.  Each piece of art was unique in its own way, but it was neat how we could compare and contrast them.  I really enjoyed learning about the different mediums that each artist used to create their piece and how they could relate to different educational concepts (Math, History, Science, and Literature)
          I definitely think that museums like SDMA are viable and accessible.  Every person that worked at the museum was very welcoming and wanted us to come back.  They even gave us folders that we could keep that had contact information.  Having young students attend museums is a great learning experience and it can open their eyes to new ideas.  They will also learn to make connections between art pieces and learn about the history of not only the piece of art, but the artist as well.  I also liked how this museum was kid friendly and had different stations where kids could explore different ideas and quiz themselves on what they learned.  Once I am a teacher, I will definitely take my students to art museums because they will learn a lot about not only art, but different subjects as well and they will have fun! 

No comments:

Post a Comment